Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Egg Rassa (Curry)
Eggs are a wonder food. They are nutritious, inexpensive and easily available. Egg Rassa or Egg Curry is everyone's comfort food. It is prepared by many different ways but this is my version of Egg Rassa giving it a Kolhapuri tinge of taste. The spices give an authentic taste. Those who do not eat eggs, they can add any vegetables in the curry. Potato, Peas and Cauliflower is a very good combination.
1) 6 hard boiled eggs
2) 1 large onion grinded to a paste.
3) 2 large tomatoes.
4) 4-5 garlic cloves
5) 1 inch ginger
6) 1 tspn mustard seeds
7) 1 tspn cumin seeds
8) a pinch of asafoetida
9) 1 tspn turmeric powder
10) 1 tbspn seasame seeds (My granny puts this. It can be optional)
11) 1 tbspn cumin-coriander powder
12) 1 tbspn Kolhapuri Masala (You can put chilli powder instead)
13) Salt as per taste
1) 4-5 cloves
2) 2 cinnamon sticks
3) 4-5 peppercons
4) 1 bay leaf
1) Cut the eggs into 2 halves.
2) Grind all the spices except the bay leaf to a fine powder.
3) Grind the tomatoes, seasame seeds, ginger and garlic together.
4) Take a wide skillet and heat oil in it.
5) Add mustard seeds. Once they crackle add cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and bay leaf. Stir for few seconds. Add the grinded spices and saute for sometime.
6) Now add the grinded onions and saute till they turn brown.
7) Then add the tomato-ginger-garlic paste and saute till the tomatoes are mushy.
8) At this stage add all the powders (cumin-coriander powder and Kolhapuri Masala). Saute till the oil leaves the masala.
9) Add water as per your desired consistency.
10)Now add the eggs, salt as per taste and bring it to a boil.
11) Garnish it with chopped coriander.
12) You can serve this with rice or chapati along with the onion-yogurt relish.