You can call it Cabbage Pacchadi or Cabbage Salad. A healthy salad than the usual ones. Here is the recipe.
1) 2 cups cabbage shredded and washed.
2) 1 tsp mustard seeds
3) 3-4 curry leaves
4) a pinch of asafoetida
5) 2-3 dried red chillies
6) 1 tspn chana dal and urad dal each
7) 3 spoonfulls of roasted and grinded peanuts
9) Salt and Sugar to taste
1) Mix the cabbage and the grinded peanuts in a bowl.
2) Heat oil in a small vessel and add mustard seeds. Once they crackle add the asafoetida and red chillies.
3) Now add the dals and stir until they are golden brown. Pour this tempering over the cabbage mixture and mix it properly.
3) Add salt and sugar as per your taste and mix it nicely.
4) Cabbage Pacchadi is ready.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
I had some very little leftover spinach in the fridge and was wondering what can be made out of it. Suddenly Spinach Raita came into my mind. I had read this recipe somewhere before but dont remember exactly how was it. I tried my method adding a little mint to it. A little dash of blended garlic and green chillies gives a very soothing taste. Here is what you need -
1) 1 cup chopped spinach
2) 1/4 cup chopped mint
3) 2 green chillies
4) 2-3 garlic cloves
5) 1/4 tspn mustard and cumin seeds
8) 2 cups curd whipped nicely
1) Whip the curd nicely and keep it aside.
2) Blend the garlic and green chillies together.
3) Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds. Once they crackle add the cumin seeds and the blended mixture. Saute for few seconds.
4) Now add mint and saute for a minute and then add the chopped spinach leaves.
5) Cover and saute for a few minutes till it becomes dry. spinach leaves water while cooking so make sure that the mixture is completely dry. Turn off the gas and let this mixture cool down.
6) Once it is cooled add it with the curd and mix it well. Add salt and mix it well.
7) Spinach Raita is ready..
You can refrigerate it before serving. It can go well with spicy gravies, biryani or even parathas. The flavour of mint gives it a nice aroma and taste. Try it and i am sure you would definitely love this.