You would love these koftas if you like corn. They taste quite different but we loved them. The curry can be the usual one with all the spices sauteing with the onions and tomatoes. Here is what you need -
For the Koftas -
1) 2 cups corn kernels
2) 5-6 bread slices
3) 5-6 garlic cloves
4) 1 inch ginger
5) 4-5 green chillies
6) 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
7) a handful of cilantro chopped
8) 1 tbsp lime juice
9) Salt to taste
10)Oil for deep frying
1) Boil the corn kernels and let them cool. Then mash it or just give it a quick pulse in the mixer.
2) Grind the ginger-garlic and green chillies to a fine paste and add it to the corn.
3) Dip the bread slices in water and squeeze them. Mash them and add it to the corn.
4) Heat oil in a kadhai and fry these koftas until golden brown.
Be careful while frying as the corn tends to splutter.
For the Curry -
1) 1 onion finely chopped
2) 2 tomatoes finely chopped
3) 1/2 cup frozen shredded coconut
4) 1 tbsp garam masala
5) 1-1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
6) 3-4 tsp poppy seeds
7) 4-5 garlic cloves
8) 1 inch ginger
10)Salt to taste
11)Finely chopped cilantro for garnishing
1) Heat oil in a skillet and add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
2) Add onions and saute for sometime.
3) Grind the ginger, garlic and poppy seeds to a fine paste.
4) Add tomatoes and saute till they become mushy.
5) Now add red chilli powder, garam masala and the grinded paste and saute for a couple more minutes.
6) Add the shredded coconut and fry till the oil leaves the sides. Add little water if needed so that the masala powders do not burn.
7) Add water and salt and let it boil for few minutes.
8) Add the koftas while serving.
9) Garnish it with cilantro.
Serve hot with chapatis. I served it with chapatis and boondi raita.