1 tbsp toovar dal
1 tbsp moong dal
1 tbsp red split masoor dal
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp chana dal
1 small onion chopped finely
1 small tomato chopped finely
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
salt as per taste
a bunch of cilantro finely chopped
1) Wash all the dals and soak them for about half an hour.
2) Pressure cook the dals. Make 3 whistles.
3) Heat oil in a wide skillet. Add cumin seeds. Once the seeds crackle add asafoetida and stir.
4) Add onions and fry till light brown.
5) Add the cooked mashed dal and half cup of water. Simmer for few minutes.
6) Take another small skillet or a kadai and heat little oil.
7) Add tomatoes and garam masala. Stir till the tomatos are mushy.
8) Pour this tadka over the dal. Add salt. Let the dal boil for few minutes and it is ready.
9) Garnish it with cilantro and serve hot with chapatis or rice.