I was searching for a different recipe for Aloo Gobi on the internet and found this version. I liked the method of giving tadka. Its different and gives a very nice taste and aroma.
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup potatoes sliced into cubes
1 bay leaf
a pinch of asafoetida
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 inch ginger
2-3 green chillies
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1) Grate the ginger in a bowl. Add to it all the powders and 2-3 tsp water. Mix it well to form a paste.
2) Heat oil in a wide skillet and add cumin seeds. Once they crackle add the bay leaf, green chillies and asafoetida. Saute for few seconds and add the paste into it. Mix it well and saute for 2 mins. A nice aroma will rise at this point.
3) Now add the cauliflower and potatoes. Add salt. Mix well together. Cover the lid and let it cook for around 15 minutes stiring it after every 5 minutes in between.
4) Garnish it with chopped cilantro.
5) Serve hot with roti or chapati.