Black chana is a North Indian dish. This can be a great side dish if you make it dry or a one pot meal if you make a curry. I made curry yesterday. Tasted great, very easy and a quick one to make. Its dry version is also served in many temples as "prasad". There are many ways of making this. Here is my version. You would need -
1) 1/2 cup black chana soaked overnight or 6 hours maximum
2) 1 medium onion
3) 2 tsp sesame seeds
4) 1 tsp poppy seeds (khaskhas)
5) 3-4 tbsp dry coconut
6) 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder for seasoning
7) 1 tsp red chilli powder
8) Oil and Salt to taste
9) A bunch of chopped cilantro for garnishing
1) Soak the black chana overnight and pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles.
2) Grind together the onions, seasame seeds, coconut and poppy seeds to a fine paste with very little water.
3) Heat oil in a kadhai and do the seasoning.
4) Add the grinded paste to it and saute till the oil leaves.
5) Add red chilli powder and saute for some more time. At this point add little water so that the dry powder will not burn.
6) Add in the chana and water as much consistency you need. Add salt. Mix well and let it boil for sometime.
7) Garnish it with cilantro and Serve hot.
Serve it with chapatis or rice.