Thalipeet Pizza is a fusion dish i tried out this weekend. It's very nutritious and healthy. Thalipeeth is a type of savoury pancake popular in Western Maharashtra, India. It is a very popular Maharashtrian dish.
Its dough is prepared from a special flour called "Bhajni" which is very nutritious. Bhajni is made of different types of grains like wheat, rice, ragi, millet and also some dals like black gram, bengal gram along with spices are roasted and grinded into flour.
The Bhajni is kneaded with a tbsp of hot oil and water. Taking a golf size portion of the kneaded bhajni pat it on a hot tava. Poke few holes in it and drop in little oil through the holes. Cook it from both the sides.
In India, this bhajni is prepared at home and is also available in the market.
I made Thalipeeth Pizza. It was full of nutrients and we could eat not more than 1 pizza. The Thalipeeth was made as described above. If you do not have "Bhajni" you can add a couple of tbspn of all the flours available in your pantry like wheat flour, jowar flour, rice flour, millet or ragi flour and besan. Add some spices according to your taste and knead it and then pat it directly on a tava. I will show you how to make the pizza sabji. Here's what you gonna need -
1) 1 medum onion sliced in large chunks
2) 1 medium tomato sliced in big pieces
3) 1 cup green, yellow and red bell peppers sliced lengthwise
4) 1/4 cup corn
5) 1/4 cup paneer cut in cubes
6) 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
7) 2-3 dry red chillies
8) 1 tbsp red chilli powder
9) Mozarella cheese for garnishing
10) Salt to taste and Oil
1) Heat oil in a skillet and add cumin seeds.
2) Once they splutter and red chillies.
3) Add onions and saute till they turn light pink.
4) Add tomatoes and saute for a minute.
5) Add the bell peppers, corn and paneer. Mix well and saute for a couple of minutes.
6) Add red chilli powder and salt. Mix well. Cover and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Do not over cook the veggies.
7) Now, heat oil in a tava. Take a small portion of thalipeeth bhajni and pat it to a circle on the tava. Cover and let it cook from one side.
8) Turn it over and spread the veggie mixture on the other side. Garnish it with cheese. Cover and let it cook till the cheese melts.
9) Serve hot with some ketchup.