Spicy Potatoes or Masaledar Aloo, this recipe was created by a fluke. I was going to make the staple boiled potatoes sabzi and suddenly thought of trying something different. And yes, this was a big hit. I boiled the potatoes and cut them in large cubes. I opened up my spice box and mixed all the dry spice powders I had to the potatoes and there it was..A tempting appetizer!! Here is what you need -
1) 3-4 large potatoes boiled
3) mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder for seasoning
4) 2-3 dry red chiliies
5) 1-2 green chillies finely chopped
6) 4-5 curry leaves
7) Lime juice and a bunch of coriander chopped finely
8) Oil for frying
1) Cut the potatoes in large cubes and let it cool down completely.
2) Now, open up your spice box and add as much dry spice powders you want to the potatoes. I added red chilli powder, cumin-coriander powder, amchur powder, chat masala, garam masala, sambar powder and Pav Bhaji Masala and lastly salt. Go a little easy on salt as all these powders contain some amount of salt in it.
3) Now heat some oil in a skillet and add the mustard seeds. Once they crackle add the asafoetida and turmeric powder, curry leaves, dry red chillies and green chillies. Saute and add the potatoes.
4) Mix well. Cover the lid and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the lime juice and cilantro and mix well. Spicy Potatoes are ready.
I served them with hot chapatis. You can even prick a toothpick in the aloos and it would work as a great appetizer too.