Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Moong Dal

I met an old friend of mine recently. Thanks to orkut for that. We met after almost 5-6 years. She was my next door childhood friend. We actually grew up together. And then we were so much busy in our own routine lives that we completely lost touch of each other. And now, when i met her after these long years, there was so much to talk and so much to share. Ohhh..I became nostalgic and went back to our childhood days. Remembered our old days, the laughter, the cries, the secrets.
Oops, I am sorry. You might be thinking why am I writing this on my food blog. Well, today when i was speaking to her, she said she made moong dal for lunch. I had not made this dal for a long long time and so thought of making it today.
Well, this is not something special. You all might be making moong dal in your own style. This is my version.
Ingredients -
1) 1 cup split moong dal pressure cooked
2) 1/2 tspn mustard and cumin seeds each
3) 1/2 tspn turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida
4) 1/2 onion finely chopped
5) 2-3 dry red chillies
6) 3-4 curry leaves
7) 1 inch ginger grated
8) Salt to taste and Oil
Method -
1) Heat oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds once its heated followed by the cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
2) Now add the red chillies and the curry leaves.
3) Once the curry leaves splutter add onion and ginger and saute nicely for about couple of minutes.
4) Now add the cooked dal with 1 cup of water. Mix well and add salt as per taste.
5) Let it boil for a couple of minutes and the delicious dal is ready.
6) Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
You can serve it with hot chapatis or rice. Its awesome. A simple yet delicious dal. I just love this. It good than the normal toor dal and its non acidic too.

1 comment:

Georgina's Blog said...

hi!nice recipe
do visit my blog