This was an unplanned dish. I made this last saturday. I am always searching for some new recipes which can be made on weekends. My idea of weekend lunch/brunch is that it should be quick to make, simple and should be sufficient enough for lunch and dinner. This recipe came in my mind. I quickly made the vegetable masala, fried some goodies and baked the dish. It was awesome and perfect. Here is what you need -
For the rice -
1) 2 cups rice
2) 4 cups warm water
3) a pinch of saffron mixed in 1 tbspn warm milk
1) Wash and drain the rice.
2) Boil the rice in warm water till the rice is cooked.
3) Cool the rice and add the saffron and mix gently. Keep aside.
For the goodies -
1) 2 medium potatoes cubed
2) 3 medium onions sliced lengthwise
3) 1/4 cup cashew nuts and rasins
4) Oil for frying
1) Heat oil in a skillet and fry the potatoes till they are slightly brown.
2) Now fry the onions and drain them on the paper towel.
3) Fry the cashews and rasins just for 10-20 seconds and drain on the paper towel.
The frying goodies are ready!!
Now, lets see whats needed for the masala -
1) 1 cup vegetables of your choice. I used the frozen packet of mixed vegetables
2) 2 medium onions
3) 2 medium tomatoes
4) 3-4 garlic cloves and 1 inch ginger
5) 3-4 green chillies
6) a bunch of washed cilantro
7) 1 tspn red chilli powder and cumin-coriander powder each
8) Oil and salt to taste
1) Steam the vegetables.
2) Mix everything except the powders in a blender and grind it to a smooth paste.
3) Heat oil in a skillet and add the blended mixture to it.
4) Cover the lid and let it cook for sometime. Stir occassionally in between.
5) Once the oil starts leaving the masala, add the powders and saute for one more minute.
6) Add the steamed vegetables, salt. Cover and let it cook for sometime. Do not overcook the veggies. Let them be tender.
The Vegetable Masala is ready!
Layering the Biryani
1) Take a baking dish and grease it with oil or ghee.
2) Now, add half of the rice followed by the goodies.
3) Then, add the whole vegetable masala followed by the remaining rice and the goodies on top.
4) Cover it with an aluminium foil and bake the dish in the oven preheated at 400 degrees F for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve it hot with raita and Enjoy!
You can also layer the biryani and store it in the refrigerator before baking.