It was Friday night and my fridge was empty. I was thinking what can be made for dinner and then thought of this dish. I wanted to try it since a long time. It can also be a great dish for weekend brunch or even breakfast. Its light, nutritious and healthy. Here is what you need -
1) 1 cup Vermicelli
2) 1 small onion chopped finely.
3) 1/2 cup mixed vegetables of your choice
4) mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and turmeric powder for seasoning
5) 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
6) 1 inch ginger minced
7) 1 tbspn raw peanuts
8) 1 tbspn cashews
9) 1.5 cups boiled water
10) Salt to taste and Oil
1) Heat 1 tbsn oil in a skillet and roast the vermicelli till they become light golden brown. Keep them aside.
2) Heat little more oil in the same skillet and add the seasoning ingredients.
3) Add the peanuts and saute them for about a minute.
4) Add cashews and saute for 30 seconds.
5) Add onions and saute them. Add green chillies and ginger and saute for some more time.
6) Meanwhile boil the water in the microwave. It saves time.
7) Add the veggies. Add salt and mix well. Cover and let the veggies cook for some time.
8) Now, add the boiled water and let it boil nicely. Check the salt at this point and add little if required.
9) Add the roasted vermicelli. Mix well. Cover the lid and let it cook for around 4-5 minutes. Stir occassionally.
Upma is ready. Garnish with coriander and serve hot.