This dal tastes awesomely delicious and is a nice variation to the usual Toor Dal. Its spicy, tangy and flavourful. I also like to have it simply as a soup. Here is what you need -
1) 1 cup Toor Dal washed
2) 1/4 cup peanuts
3) 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
4) 1/2 tspn chilli powder or to taste
5) 1 tspn cumin-coriander powder
6) 1 tspn Garam Masala
7) 3-4 Kokum
8) 1 tspn Amchur Powder
9) 2 green chillies finely chopped
10) 1 inch ginger grated
11)1 medium Tomato diced
12)Jaggery to taste
13)Lemon Juice to taste
14)Salt to taste
For the seasoning -
1) 1 tspn Oil
2) 1/2 tspn mustard seeds and Cumin seeds each
3) A pinch of asafoetida
4) 5-6 curry leaves
5) 2-3 cloves
6) 1 small cinnamon stick
7) 1 dry red chilli
1) Pressure cook the toor dal with peanuts, salt, turmeric powder with enough water. Make 3-4 whistles and let the pressure go down.
2) Transfer the dal to a skillet and add all the dry powders, kokum, tomato, green chillies, ginger and jaggery. Add around 2 cups of water and let it boil.
3) Now, heat oil in a small skillet and do the seasoning.
4) Add this seasoning to the boiling dal.
5) Mix well and check salt at this point. Adjust salt and water according to your taste and allow it to boil nicely.
6) Add enough water as Toor Dal has a tendency to absorb the water and thicken. This dal should be more watery.
7) Garnish it with cilantro.