We live in the 21st century and we need or have got habitual to instant things. We need instant food, we need everything automatic and machine operated. Microwave is one of them. It is a great great appliance in the kitchen and we are just handicapped without it.
I made Instant Rava Idlis in microwave. They were made just in 4 minutes. My mother-in-law sent me the microwave idli maker and i loved it. Thank-You so much. Its been a life saver. My husband loves Idlis and now I can make them whenever i can without fermenting the batter.
1) 2 cups Rava/Sooji/Semolina
3) 1 tspn mustard seed
4) a pinch of asafoetida
5) 1-2 dry whole red chillies
6) 1 tspn chana dal
7) 1 tspn urad dal
1) 1 cup yogurt well beaten
2) 4-5 curry leaves
3) 2-3 green chillies chopped finely
4) 1 inch ginger grated
5) Salt to taste
6) 1 cup water
7) A handful of cilantro
8) 2 tspn ENO or Fruit Salt
9) Thinly sliced tomato and cilantro for garnishing
1) Heat oil in a wide skillet and do the seasoning. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, red chillies, chana dal and urad dal. Add the rava and mix well. Roast the rava nicely until it start changing its colour.
2) Meanwhile coat the Idli trays with oil and keep aside.
3) Turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
4) Take the yogurt in a bowl and add all the other ingredients to it except ENO. Mix well.
5) Add this mixture to the Rava and mix it well.
6) Add water little at a time and keep mixing it without forming any lumps. Rest the batter for 10-15 minutes.
7) Add ENO at the last minute and mix well. The mixture should foam up. This step is important as we are not fermenting the batter. Adding ENO takes care of that.
8) Pour little batter in the Idli trays and put them in the mocrowave on high for 4 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes and then remove.
Serve hot Idlis with sambar and coconut chutney.
I kept a thin slice of tomato and a coriander leaf in the idli trays before pouring the batter. Its looks nice and attractive.