I like to include lentils in my meals than the usual yellow toovar dal.
1) 1 cup masoor dal
2) 1 medium onion chopped finely
3) 1 medium tomato chopped finely
4) 2-3 green chillies
5) 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
6) 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
7) 1/2 tsp turmeric
8) a pinch of asafoetida
9) 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
10) 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
11) 1/2 tsp cumin-coriander powder
12) 1/2 tsp garam masala
14) a bunch of cilantro finely chopped
1) Pressure cook the masoor dal. Make 3 whistles
2) Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they crackle add cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric.
3) Add onions and saute till it turns light brown.
4) Add tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste, cumin-coriander powder and saute little more.
5) Add the cooked masoor dal and some water as per the consistency needed (i had made a little thick).
6) Add the chilli powder, garam masala and salt and let it boil for a few minutes.
7) Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and serve hot with chapatis or rice.