This recipe is very much close to Tomato soup or Tomato saar which is a very popular dish in Maharastrian cuisine. The taste of gram flour(besan) with a perfect blend of spices adds a very nice flavour to this curry.
4 large tomatoes
3-4 curry leaves
salt as per taste
2-3 green chillies
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp gram flour
2 tbsp jaggery grated
a bunch of chopped cilantro for garnishing
1) Boil the tomatoes and blend them into a smooth puree. Drain the puree and keep aside.
2) Heat oil in a skillet and add all the ingredients except chilli powder and jaggery. Cook for 2 minutes.
3) Add the pureed tomatoes with 2 glasses of water.
4) Add chilli powder, jaggery and salt and bring it to a boil.
5) Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot.