I had joined a cookery class before marriage and thats when i learned this dish. The method is quite lengthy but worth giving it a try. It was awesome. You can have it with any gravy of your choice or simply with some raita. Here is what you need -
For the gravy -
1) 1 cup boiled corn kernels
2) 1 small onion
3) 2 tomatoes pureed
4) 2 tbspn frozen shredded coconut
5) 2-3 dry red chillies
6) 2 tspn cumin-coriander powder
7) 2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 cinnamon stick
8) 5-6 cloves garlic
9) Salt as per taste and
1) Cut 1 onion lenghtwise. Heat very little oil in a pan and roast the onions, red chillies and all the spices along with the shredded coconut and blend it to a smooth paste with little water if required.
2) Take the tomato puree in a vessel and add the boiled corn kernels and the blended mixture, some sugar and salt as per taste and let it boil for some time.
For the rice -
1) 1 cup cooked rice.
2) cloves, black pepperons, cardamom - 2 each, 1 bay leaf
3) 1 onion cut lenghtwise.
I baked this rice in the oven. But you can heat oil in a skillet, add all the spices, saute for some time. Then add the cooked rice and the tomato puree mixture, salt to taste. Mix well. Cover the lid tightly and let it cook on medium low flame for about 15 minutes.
For baking - Take a oven safe bowl. Spray little baking spray or simply coat the bowl with little oil. Now give layers of the rice and tomato gravy. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees and bake the rice for 30 minutes.
It tastes awesome. Enjoy!!