Katachi Amati is a kind of dal/soup. I had mentioned this in my post of Puran Poli. "Kat" means the water that is drained when pressure cooking the chana dal while making the puran for Puran Poli. Puran Poli-Batatyachi Bhaji(Boiled potatoes seasoned with spices), Katachi Amati-Bhat is a perfect meal.Wow....I simply love this and I can drink bowls and bowls of this. Here is what you need -
1) 2 cups Kat
2) 1 small onion sliced lenghtwise
3) 3-4 tbspns dried coconut
4) 2-3 garlic cloves and 1 inch ginger.
5) Oil for frying
6) Salt to taste
7) 2-3 tspns chilli powder. (I used kolhapuri Masala)
8) 1 tbspn jaggery crushed.
For the seasoning -
1) 3-4 peppercons
2) 3-4 cloves
3) 1 bay leaf
4) a cinnamon stick
5) 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
6) a pinch of asafoetida
1) Add 1 tbspn oil in a pan and roast the onions cut lengthwise, coconut, ginger and garlic together. Cool and blend them to a fine paste.
2) Mix this paste with the Kat.
3) Heat oil in a skillet and add the turmeric powder and asafoetida. Add the rest of the seasoning ingredients.
4) Now add the Kat. Add salt, chilli powder and jaggery and let it boil nicely for 10 minutes.
Amati is ready. You can have it with plain rice or simply have it as a soup.