Pulao/Biryani has always been my favourite. I like to make different variations in this so that it becomes a full fledged meal/supper. This time I made Mixed Vegetable Pulao and used up the packet of frozen vegetables from my pantry. Here is the what you need.
1) 2 cups Basamati rice
2) 1 cup mixed veggies of your choice. (I used half of the packet of frozen vegetables)
3) 1 medium sized onion cut lengthwise
4) 2-3 green chillies
5) 2-3 cloves garlic and 1 inch ginger
6) 3-4 peppercons, cloves and cardamom each
7) 1 stick cinnamon
8) 1 tspn turmeric and cumin-coriander powder each
9) 1 tspn red chilli powder
10)Salt as per taste
11) And Oil
1) Wash the rice and soak it for 15-20 minutes.
2) Grind the spices(peppercons, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon) together.
3) Blend the green chillies, ginger and garlic to a paste.
4) Heat oil in a large skillet and add the mustard seeds. Once they crackle add cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
5) Add the blended spices and the paste and saute for few seconds. Then add the onions cut lengthwise and saute for some more time.
6) Once the oil starts leaving the onions, add the vegetables. Mix well and add the cumin-coriander powder. Cover and cook the veggies till they become tender.
7) Now, add the rice and mix it well with the veggies. Add 4 cups of warm water, salt as per taste and the red chilli powder. Mix it well. Cover the lid and let it cook. This takes around 10-15 minutes.
8) Vegetable Pulao is ready. You can serve this with any kind of raita.