Kadhi-Khichadi is supposed to be the most comfort food in Maharashtrian cuisine and ofcourse it is. We had this for dinner last night. This combination is perfect on a cozy wintery night or when its raining heavily outside.
I have posted the recipe for Kadhi earlier. We will see whats needed for Khichadi -
1) 1 cup rice
2) 1/2 cup split moong dal
3) 1 small onion chopped lengthwise
4) 2-3 curry leaves
5) 1/2 tspn mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida for seasoning
6) 1 tspn cumin-coriander powder and chilli powder each
7) Oil and salt to taste
1) Wash the rice and dal and soak it for about half an hour.
2) Heat oil in a pressure cooker and do the seasoning.
3) Add onions and saute for a minute.
4) Add the dry powders and saute again for a minute.
5) Add the soaked rice and dal and mix them well.
6) Add around 3 cups of water. Add salt to taste.
7) Pressure cook till 3 whistle. Let the cooker cool down.
Serve hot with Kadhi and pickle of your choice.