I love chaats and i am sure everybody does. I can eat chaats anytime. I miss those days when we used to hangout with friends just to eat chaats. Back home in Pune, there are so many chaat joints. How can i forget the most famous Bheleshwar near SNDT college backgate, Ganesh Bhel in Kothrud and yeah the chaat basket at Manmeet on FC Road! Ohh, I miss those days :(
I have started preparing chaats at home Ragda Pattice being one of them. And ofcourse they are hygenic. But having chaats on thelas at the roadside has a different fun in it. Isnt it? You all would agree to this!!
So, Here comes Ragda Pattice. Ragda is a thick gravy of white peas which is served with pattice which can also be called as a potato patty or patato cutlet. You would need -
For the Pattice -
1) 5-6 medium potatoes boiled
2) 2 bread slices
3) Salt to taste and Oil for shallow frying
1) Mash the boiled potatoes. Soak the bread slices in warm water and immediately squeeze it out. Add the slices to the potato mixture.
2) Add salt and mix well.
3) Take a golf size ball of the mixture and flatten it on your palm to make a pattice.
4) Shallow fry the pattice on a tava/skillet using 1 tbspn of oil. Drain on a paper towel.
For the Ragda -
1) 1 cup vatana or white peas soaked overnight
2) 1 medium onion chopped finely
3) 1 tspn turmeric powder
4) 1 tbspn ginger-garlic paste
5) 1 tbspn cumin-coriander powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder each
6) Salt to taste and Oil.
1) Pressure cook the peas. Heat oil in a wide skillet and add the ginger-garlic paste.
2) Add the onions and saute for sometime.
3) Add all the dry powders and saute for some more time.
4) Now add the cooked peas with little water. Add salt. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
Ragda is ready!!
While serving, take 2-3 pattice in a plate. Pour the ragda over it. Put some tamarind chutney on top of it. Garnish with finely chopped onions and coriander. Enjoy!!!