My grandmon makes pohe the south indian style. She has stayed in Karnataka for a pretty long time and hence she has hands on all the South Indian dishes and
I simply love them. She had made this dish when my husband first visited her place before our marriage. He loved it. We both have a liking towards south indian food. i make this style of pohe very often. Can you guess what is the main ingredient in this dish? Well, thats the rasam powder and tamarind paste. Here is what you need -
1) 2 cups thick pohe
2) 1 tbspn rasam powder
3) 2 tbspn tamarind paste
4) Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, asafoetida turmeric powder and curry leaes for seasoning
5) 1 tspn urad dal and chana dal each.
6) Oil and salt to taste
7) Fresh shredded coconut and cilantro for garnishing
1) Wash the pohe nicely. Apply the tamarind paste and rasam powder to it. Add salt. Mix well and keep it covered for around 15 minutes.
2) Heat oil in a kadhai and do the seasoning.
3) Put the pohe mixture and give it a nice toss. Cover and cook for a few minutes.
4) Garnish it with fresh coconut and cilatro. Serve hot.
The rasam powder makes the magic. Try this out and I am sure you will love it.