Upma, I love it. But my husband is not very fond of upma so i do not make it very often. Last evening we came home after a day long of activites. Bowling, Laser Tag, Video Games, a nice lunch in an Indian Restaurant and finally watched Avataar 3D movie. Had loads of fun and was in a mood of having something light for dinner. I decided to make Upma. Here is what you need -
1) 1 cup rava/sooji/semolina
2) 2 cups water
3) 1 small onion chopped finely
4) 2-3 dry red chillies
5) 1 tbspn urad dal
6) 1/4 tspn mustard seeds and cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves for seasoning
7) Oil and salt to taste
8) Finely chopped cilatro for garnishing
1) Dry roast the rava till it turns lightly brown. Keep aside.
2) Heat oil in a kadhai and do the seasoning.
3) Add dry red chillies and saute for some time.
4) Add onions and saute till they are light brown.
5) Add urad dal and saute for some more time.
6) Add 2 cups water and bring it to boil. Add the rava and keep stirring it. Do not allow to form lumps.
7) Cover and let it cook for a couple minutes.
8) Garnish it with freshly chopped cilantro.